Sunday, November 02, 2008

I feel like I'm aging out all over again

Well, this past week was rather uneventful. The Phillies won the World Series. Yay! Go Phils! Finally! And ... of course, I'm two thousand miles from home. But, oh well, they won. Good for them.

We had Monday off because of the fire over the weekend. Hawk left for Chicago on Tuesday. We also had our evaluations with Chad, Owens and Emily. Everyone had a good eval, it all went rather smoothly. Chad and Owens tried to mess with a few of us a little. On Wednesday Chad led a little tutorial on how to apply for a job with the Forest Service (or a similar agency with regards to wildland firefighting, such as the Bureau of Land Management). It's a bit more complicated than just sending in a resume. Fire resumes are supposed to be long, detailing all of the experiences you've had on crews and with a department. You also have to have a profile on a website that the Forest Service uses to look at potential employees.

Beyond that, we just went back to Kelly Dahl to chip the rest of the slash from the trees we had dropped last week. It's all come full circle, it seems. On Friday, we turned in a few things from our gear that the work center had issued us (face shrouds from our helmets, fusees, first aid kits), as well as our tools, boxes of MREs and cubies (five-gallon water jugs in boxes). It was quite sad and a bit surreal. I felt like I was aging out from drum corps all over again -- I'd had my last show, we were breaking down the equipment and putting everything away. They let us out early, so we said our farewells to Chad, Owens and Egan and went down to the house.

I went for a run, stained and sealed the bench and then got into my Halloween costume to parade around in Ned for the festivities. It was lots of fun, there were a lot of character costumes this year. I was a gypsy, which came together a lot better than I had anticipated. Nikki was Sarah Palin, Blake was Freddie Mercury, Scott was Iron Man, Ervin was Chris Meloni's character from
Wet, Hot, American Summer.

So that's all then. Tomorrow, we'll clean the house top to bottom and get packed up. We head back to campus in Denver on Tuesday. We were originally supposed to work for another week, but we have to head back early to turn our gear in so it can be signed out immediately to the new wildfire teams, now that the cycles have overlapped for our campus. So that will leave me with not a whole lot to do on Thursday and Friday, probably. I'll probably drum up something to keep me occupied. I'm getting my hair cut on Saturday morning and it's kinda crazy exactly how much I'm looking forward to it.

But that's that. I think I'll save my reflections on the end for another post, this one has gone on quite enough.

No comments: